Yes, I know, shameless plug. Here are a few of my playlists. Feel free to ask me for editorial comments.
- 2018: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/1JDm57rQwdgZmVYgjW3T9A
- 2017: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/6e918YOAhjCBkzSMthSeCj
- 2016: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/3ENxbxcK23mMHyqicsEyMr
- 2015: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/4DlFIjb2wMYoyOBJgvMaVS
- 2014: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/4Plm8Sy7m03iwnthidEg89
- 2013: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/1cwCnJJ1hE10QVtPLqXtbS
- 2012: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/3R7U25pAhzR4TisDmexa9r
- 2011: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/6lx5P1rk4SFW2zGOQ4Hx9h
- 2010: https://open.spotify.com/user/122697959/playlist/3euPYTh64R3i3rED1GuSJz
At least once a year towards the end of the year, I share a compilation of some of the songs I liked, or that were particularly anthemy or catchy and that I hadn't gotten tired of yet. The songs range from new releases shazamed on that "you know you love it when you first hear it" crush (many from Radio 1 - thank you Nick Grimshaw, Scott Mills, Annie Mac - I know I'm not the target demographic), some from movies I saw this year, some older songs that somehow popped for me this year, a few from travels that got stuck in my head, and a few discovered by reading and listening to lots of recommendations, checking out random lists, and letting Spotify, Pandora, Youtube Music and even traditional radio go wild. As always, lots of anthems [blush]. Most have stood the test of repeat-play.
Long list of possible disclaimers for what I did NOT include even though it was hot this year (even if I might have liked it). Only disclaimers and rants:
- Not sure how this works with digital rights in other countries - I've seen weird things on Spotify where all of a sudden songs disappear from my playlist when I'm traveling. Let me know.
- 2018 is the year I finally abandoned the CD - despite having a 14yo car that has no bluetooth, I stopped buying physical CDs (well, 4 or 5 - that's like zero). With unlimited large catalogs from Spotify, Youtube, Amazon, and Apple, it just seemed sort of pointless. I do subscribe to Spotify Premium, Youtube Premium, and Amazon Prime, and I go to a fair number of shows, so arguably I still support the ecosystem, but that argument sounds a bit defensive and it is.
- Despite having once specialized in personalization algorithms, I find the ones on my music services to be pretty stupid. My best discoveries here still came from reading general-audience stuff and listening to unfiltered shows and random playlists/channels, rather than from stuff recommended to me. So for all you budding data scientists out there, there is room for improvement.
- Finally: I've been making "mix tapes" since I was like 12. It's a bit tricky because I tend to deviate from mainstream too much for some, or am too close to it for others; too easy for some, too weird for others. The choice of these songs does not mean that this is the only stuff I like - I have an annoyingly broad taste (not an omnivore, but definitely willing to try anything). I hope you like it, or at least discover a song or two you like through it!